May 22, 2015 – Yingting
Question: I am using MS Word 2011 for Mac (OS X10.9.5) to write my dissertation. I was able to cite before using EndNote X7.3, but now I can’t. Every time I try to cite a reference from my EndNote library, an error message occurs saying “Microsoft Word has encountered a problem and needs to close.” How to make it possible for me to cite again?
Answer: According to Microsoft support at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2693802, this can happen if:
- Word preferences are corrupted.
- The user account profile is corrupted.
- Programs running in the background are interfering with Word for Mac.
- Application files are corrupted.
In this case, very likely Word preferences are corrupted. To fix this problem, according to Jimmy from EndNote Technical Support, first you need to check if Visual Basic is functioning by following these steps:
- Open a Word document, go to Tools ->Macros… Visual Basic editor.
- If there is an error, Word needs to be reinstalled. If you get the Project window, then it is fine.
The next thing to check is to see if CWYW is added on. Follow the steps below to check this:
- Open a Word document.
- Under Word menu, choose “Preferences… ” (Note: if no document is open, Preferences will be grayed out.)
- In Word Preferences, under Personal Settings, click on File Locations.
- In the File locations window, click on Startup.
- If it is blank in the path, then you need to navigate to the Applications.
- In the Applications folder, locate Microsoft Office 2011, then go to Office -> Startup folder -> Word sub-folder ->EndNote CWYW 2011.bundle should be place in the path now.
- Close word and then re-launch Word. Your CWYW add-on should be available now and you should be able to cite references.