May 1, 2012 – Yingting Zhang
Question: My paper in Word is no longer communicating properly with my EndNote library. Whenever I try to format the references or add new references, it says “Command failed”. How to fix this problem?
Answer: The document’s field code might be messed up causing miscommunication between the paper and the corresponding EndNote library. Please follow the steps below to resolve this issue.
- Just in case the EndNote library is damaged, recover the library first by going EndNote program’s Tools -> Recover Library and save it as a new library name.
- Open your paper in Word, and then click the EndNote X5 tab. Click “Convert to Unformatted Citations” under “Convert Citations and Bibliography”.
- Press Ctrl A to select the whole document.
- Press Ctrl 6 (not from the numeric pad) to clean up any encoding or formatting of the document.
- Press Ctrl C to copy the selected content.
- Press Ctrl V to paste the selected content in a new blank document.
- In the EndNote X5 tab, click on “Update Citations and Bibliography”
After performing all these steps, your paper will be working again with your EndNote library. Should you have any questions, please contact your campus librarians for help. Note: I would like to thank Jill from Thomson Reuters Technical Support for this helpful tip.