March 11, 2014 – Yingting
Question: I understand that if a PDF article has a DOI number I should be able to import it into my EndNote library. However I have problems importing an article with this DOI # – “DOI: 10.1126/science.1243490”. Do you know why I am not able to?
Answer: Generally speaking, for an article in PDF embedded with a valid DOI, you should be able to import it into your EndNote library with complete bibliographic information. However, for PDF articles that are scanned or have no DOI or an incorrect DOI, you will not be able to get the bibliographic information for them. All you get will be just the PDF article attached to a blank record. How do you know if the DOI is correct or not? You have two ways to verify the DOI.
1) In EndNote under the Tools menu, click “Online Search…”
2) That will open “Choose a Connection” box. Highlight or search for “CrossRef” and then click the Choose button.
3) That will allow you to search CrossRef in EndNote. Enter the DOI in the search box.
4) If it matches a DOI in CrossRef, the bibliographic record that matches the DOI will be retrieved. You can then save it in your EndNote library. If it does not match, that means your DOI you is not correct.
NOTE: When you enter the DOI, use lower case “doi” and leave no space in the doi. For example, if you enter your above doi as “DOI: 10.1126/science.1243490” as shown in your question, you will not be able to find a matching one, because DOI is in upper case and there is a space after “:”. You should enter “doi:10.1126/science.1243490” and a matching record will be retrieved.
1) Go to http://crossref.org.
2) Enter the DOI in the box to search.
3) If it matches a DOI in CrossRef, the citation with the matching DOI will be displayed in CrossRef. Otherwise, a list of possibly relevant citations will be displayed.
NOTE: Enter lower case “doi” and leave no space in the doi, e.g. doi:10.1126/science.1243490.
Hope this helps.
Filed under: EndNote & Full Text, EndNote and DOI, EndNote Import Filters, EndNote X7 Features, FAQs | Tagged: CrossRef, DOI, PDF File | Leave a comment »